January 01, 2015

Typical... As for UCU...

I would just like to add here my own experience.

Recently I won an unfair dismissal case against the University of Essex. I was dismissed, because I submitted a claim for permanency having worked there for over 5 years continuously on a sequence of 19 fixed-term contracts.

No procedure was followed, I was not granted any right during dismissal. I was not even informed about the reason for it. This made my dismissal unfair already. Regarding the reason, the key evidence was an email in which an HR Officer advised the Head of my Department as follows:

"X is pursuing her case for permanency... Was the intention that she would teach modules in the next academic year? I would advise against this if possible as ongoing teaching of modules each academic year can lead to claims for permanent employment."

This advice on its own is a clear cut breach of the law (Fixed-term Regulations). I represented myself in the case, since UCU recommended that I should settle with the University, i.e. accept their bribe.

Since the University lost this case at the Employment Tribunal, the HR Officer sending the above email has been promoted to become an HR Manager. I have not heard anything and have not met anyone from the University since. It seems that I have been wiped out of history from their point of view.

Anonymous

1 comment:

ULSTERUNIVERSITYBULLYING said...

sadly your experience is not uncommon

UCU branch officers are a mixed lot....remember they are volunteers but also remember serving brings plenty of perks (free travel, accommodation, meals, days out....) to say nothing of time off for union duties for certain officers

You were lucky to have that HR evidence

my advice would be to continue to pursue your case by every avenue possible- even by embarrassing them you might get something more.....

good luck with it...