June 26, 2009

Is your academic manager a sociopath?

  • Glibness and Superficial Charm
  • Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

  • Grandiose Sense of Self
    Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

  • Pathological Lying
    Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

  • Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

  • Shallow Emotions
    When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

  • Incapacity for Love

  • Need for Stimulation
    Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

  • Callousness/Lack of Empathy Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

From: Profile of the Sociopath

According to Martha Stout, 1 in 25 ordinary Americans secretly has no conscience and can do anything at all without feeling guilty. One wonders about the percentage of sociopath academic managers... Worth remembering that most serial bullies are sociopaths.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This profile of a sociopath is helpful in understanding the behaviour of those whose actions feels like bullying.

We need to understand that they see the world through a different lens.

The lack of empathy is a particularly crucial trait as it is this that enables them to cope with the havoc that they create...

...which in my case goes on and on...

Aphra Behn

Antonia - Beauty Health Finance and Green Issues Editor said...

Having taken out a greivance against my ex-manager at a UK University based in London, I can relate to a lot of the things in this post. The callousness/lack of empathy, meanness, rudeness, crudeness (she swears a lot in the office), she lies and she manipulates the other members of staff, she makes threats, constantly critical, provocational...there's more...She constantly watches you, like a stalker. When she walked into the room, I used to feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

At times, I used to wonder whether this woman was mentally deranged or something.

This woman was a complete nightmare to work with.

I would normally consider myself a strong individual but this woman made me cry on a number of occasions. This was out of frustration more than anything else... A very wicked woman! Working with her was hellish to say the least. It was only after I had left the University that I realised how stressed I was working with her. My hair also fell out at the back of my head...I had a big bald patch.

She has had a number of grievances against her but manages to manipulate and lie her way through it all...A pathetic, manipulative person.

E J Frogster said...

For me as a victim of sociopathic manipulation, books that explain personality disorders to me have been absolutely essential reading.

Also I've told the Prime Minister Gordon Brown that I'm a violated woman as a direct result of encountering a sociopath and this is my song to him:


"Gordon Brown be my Angel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEWhEuhRoo (lyrics annotated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znUtocdwnYw (BETTER SOUND QUALITY)

Brahms Lullaby

Gordon Brown! Gordon Brown!
Will you be my angel?
Guardian angel is what I meant
Will you rescue my soul?

For you are in charge
Of these people I wrote to
Stephen Timms, Jack Straw
Let me place my trust in you

Gordon Brown! MP’s!
Let me sing out loud
For what you do, for my country
For my reproductive system

You right wrongs! My right’s been wronged
I am desperate for you
Not just you! There’s Jon Herring
I’m a violated woman

Gordon Brown, help me sleep!
Help me sleep like a baby
Will my babies ever come out?
Maternal desires!
I lost my womanhood
In a sinister curse
Gordon Brown! Bring it back!
You are perfect for that!


E J Frogster.